The Fessenden School, located ten minutes west of Boston, Massachusetts, is the oldest all boys, junior boarding school in the country. In addition to intellectual diligence, a Fessenden education is based on high standards for personal behavior. Core values underscore a strong academic, athletic and arts program designed specifically for boys. After 106 years, Fessenden continues its focus and commitment to the education of boys and the curriculum, facilities, and programs are designed with the necessities of boys in mind. The Fessenden program encourages boys to become responsible young men of character who are interested in contributing to a vibrant school community both in and outside of the classroom.
Facilities on the tree-lined campus include a central academic building connected with dormitories, dining hall, library, administrative offices and an arts wing housing a performing arts center, woodworking shop, and music and fine arts classrooms. Additionally, the campus is home to a state-of-the-art athletics facility, numerous sports fields, outdoor pools and tennis courts and an ice hockey rink.
David B. Stettler, appointed 2011
The mission of The Fessenden School is to teach, nurture and celebrate growing boys; cultivating each student’s individual potential and developing in balance his mind, character, heart and body in an inclusive and joyful community that, through rigor, friendship and service, reflects Fessenden’s traditional values of honesty, compassion and respect.
- Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 9
- Oldest all-boys, junior boarding school in U.S.
- Seven and five-day boarding options available in Grades 5-9
- 41-acre campus in metropolitan Boston
- Academically challenging curriculum structured to educate and foster the specific learning styles of elementary and middle school boys
- Character education infused program
- Middle and Upper School athletic offerings - 23 (competitive, intramural and recreational)
- Upper School electives offered - 18 (such as, robotics, video production, woodworking, and performing and technical theater arts)
- Faculty, student and parent led forums for furthering Fessenden’s inclusive community - 6
- Theatre Arts productions per year - 7