The District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) is a reform-oriented urban school system serving 45,000 students in the nation’s capital under the leadership of Chancellor Michelle Rhee. The system has 123 schools and employs approximately 4,000 educators. DCPS is currently engaged in a comprehensive reform effort with the goal of becoming the preeminent urban school system in America. As a part of that effort, DCPS intends to have the highest performing, best paid, most satisfied, and most honored educator force in the nation.
- The District of Columbia Public Schools will be the highest performing urban school system in the country.
- The District of Columbia Public Schools will provide an outstanding education to every single student.
- The District of Columbia Public Schools will be the first major urban school district to eliminate the achievement gap.
- The District of Columbia Public Schools will be the first and best choice for families living in the District of Columbia.
- We believe that all children, regardless of background or circumstance, can achieve at the highest levels.
- We believe that achievement is a function of effort, not innate ability.
- We believe that we have the power and responsibility to close the achievement gap.
- We believe that our schools must be caring and supportive environments.
- We believe that it is critical to engage our students’ families and communities as valued partners.
- We believe that our decisions at all levels must be guided by robust data.
Find comprehensive information about DCPS schools and programs using our interactive map. Each school profile contains contact information, state assessment data, and details about special programs.
Learn more about our teachers and schools through select profiles. More information can be found about our district atwww.dcps.dc.gov.